Commitment to achieving Net Zero
Beechwood Equipment Limited and its staff are committed to achieving Net Zero emissions by 2050.
Publication Date: 15th January 2024
Baseline Emissions Footprint
Baseline emissions are a record of the greenhouse gases that have been produced in the past and were produced prior to the introduction of any strategies to reduce emissions. Baseline emissions are the reference point against which emissions reduction can be measured.
Baseline Year: 2023
Additional Details relating to the Baseline Emissions calculations.
Beechwood Equipment Limited moved to the present premises in Guildford from the existing building in Sunbury-on-Thames. The move had many benefits, not least being that the building is more energy efficient and staff commuting journeys were reduced. This baseline year is the first full calendar year at the new premises.
Beechwood Equipment Limited operates from a single premises with office layout and small warehouse. The business does not use any energy intensive machinery. The building is heated by a standard gas boiler and benefits from solar panels reducing the electricity consumption.
Baseline year emissions:
Scope 1: 2.46 tonnes CO2e
Scope 2: 3.58 tonnes CO2e
Scope 3 (Included Sources): 23.56 tonnes CO2e
Total Emissions: 29.6 tonnes CO2e
Current Emissions Reporting
Reporting Year: 2024`
Current Emissions Reporting
Reporting Year: 2024
Scope 1:New data are being gathered at the current time
Scope 2: New data are being gathered at the current time
Scope 3 (Included Sources): New data are being gathered at the current time
Emissions reduction targets
Given the recent change in premises previous targets for reduction in our carbon footprint are no longer relevant.
In order to continue our progress to achieving Net Zero, we have adopted the following carbon reduction targets.
- Change to a more energy efficient building;
- The Guildford office is slightly smaller, requiring less energy to heat;
- Staff commuting journey distances have overall been reduced;
- A working from home facility has been introduced allowing some staff to work at home part-time or full-time;
We project that carbon emissions will decrease over the next five years to 23.68 tCO2e by 2029. This is a reduction of 20%.
Carbon Reduction Projects
There are some plans in place to reduce the emissions classified in Scope 1 and 2 detailed below. Our main emissions are mostly classified in Scope 3 and of these, transportation is the dominant area in which we believe savings can be made.
More than half of the calculated and estimated Scope 3 emissions are international travel
- Move to adopt LED lighting as and when current lighting fails, avoiding the additional waste of throwing away the existing bulbs before their end of life, and benefitting from the future gain of reduced lighting costs. A rolling program for the installation of movement detectors in areas outside the main office for lighting control has been scheduled for 2024;
- Company laptops are being issued to key personnel;
- Our adopted energy supplier provides electricity from renewable sources;
- Save for legally required paperwork, the business has adopted a paperless system wherever possible;
- Packaging has been reduced by re-use of boxes;
- Separate recycling and general waste facilities are installed throughout the office premises;
- Staff are encouraged to car-pool and to use public transport if possible;
- New packaging, when required is obtained from sustainable sources/suppliers;
- Beechwood Equipment Limited sponsors carbon reduction projects through Ecologi.
The Energy Performance Report which contributes to the summary information provided above, is an annual report that allows the business to measure the effectiveness of the targets and strategies adopted during the year.
Performance against the targets is reviewed by management at least annually, and new strategies proposed. New targets are set, and existing targets changed (as appropriate) to reflect the expected savings as part of the PLAN >> DO >> CHECK >> ACT cycle of continual improvement.
Declaration and Sign Off
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been completed in accordance with PPN 06/21 and associated guidance and reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans.
Emissions have been reported and recorded in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the GHG Reporting Protocol corporate standard and uses the appropriate Government emission conversion factors for greenhouse gas company reporting .
Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions have been reported in accordance with SECR requirements, and the required subset of Scope 3 emissions have been reported in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3) Standard.
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been reviewed and signed off by the board of directors (or equivalent management body).